24 admitted after consuming contaminated meat

0

A total of twenty-four people from Shabaa Village in Samburu Central sub County have been admitted and are receiving treatment at the Samburu County Referral Hospital in Maralal Town after consuming contaminated meat.

Commenting and confirming the unfortunate incident, Boniface Atandi, a doctor at the hospital said all the victims who were admitted at the hospital complained of diarrhoea, vomiting and stomachache after consuming meat from a cow’s carcass. He added that a big majority of those admitted are old men and women and a big number aged between 15 and 20 years.

“Most of them were elderly men and women and others were aged between 15 to 20 years. They were brought here while weak and dehydrated,” he said

Atandi told said that 22 of the 24 patients have received treatment and are in stable condition and could be discharged on Monday.

The doctor said that this was not the first time people were brought to the hospital after eating meat from a carcass. He cautioned the residents against eating meat that is not inspected saying the consequences could be deadly.

“We want to appeal to the local communities not to eat uninspected meat or meat from dead animals. Always ensure that the meat has been inspected and approved for human consumption by a public health officer,” he said.

Atandi further appealed to the authorities to sensitise residents of the area against eating meat that is not inspected.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply